If you want to increase your eCommerce or wholesale revenue, make sure you capitalize on website personalization. Give your buyers a much better online shopping experience and they'll reward you.
While Amazon is the veteran of eCommerce personalization, nowadays there is plethora of easy to use and affordable solutions that can enable you to provide unique experiences to your buyers based on their preferences, location and even weather. This can only make it easier for them to buy from you, and for you to up-sell and cross-sell - all leading to significant revenue increase for your brand or distribution company.
In fact, Internet Retailer found that the personalization category was the fastest-growing tech category adopted by merchants in 2013 “with 337 of the Top 1000 merchants adding one or more commercial personalization application, an increase of 68% from 201 merchants in the prior year”. Your peers found its benefits, and so should you.
McCann Worldgroup surveyed over 10,000 people in 11 countries (U.S., U.K., China, Brazil, Mexico, Chile, U.A.E., France, South Africa, Spain, and India) and found that 65 percent of people said they were willing to share data if they can see tangible benefits from doing so.
In December 2013, Infosys conducted another survey amongst 1,000 consumers in the US, which showed that shopping personalization influences buying decisions and that consumers actually want more of it. Other insights include:
- 86% said that website personalization influenced what they purchase to some extent, a figure that includes 25% who said that personalization significantly influences what they purchase
- Personalized coupons (67%) are the most highly favored form, followed by personalized offers and promotions based on previous experiences (62%) and product recommendations based on previous purchases (58%)
- Almost a third of the surveyed shoppers wish their shopping experience was even more personalized than it currently is
- 51% were in favour of personalization for health and beauty; 50% for electronics; 47% for clothing and 41% for furniture, gardening and do-it-yourself.
So what are you waiting for? To get you started, we have 5 website personalization solutions to recommend you. No tech skills and no big budgets required.
1. Marketizator - a comprehensive website personalization tool
Marketizator can allow you personalize pop-ups, ribbons, banners, images, text, flash animations, music and forms depending on your visitors’ location, traffic source, visit history or even weather.
Think of everything you can automatically do:
- Display your winter collection to customers from regions where winter came early
- Avoid displaying products you don’t want to sell in certain locations
- Greet people in their own language
- Show reviews from the same location as the visitor
- Show shipping costs for the specific location the visitor is from
- Give vouchers to people about to abandon their cart
- Display products according to previously browsed products or visitor’s preferences
It works for any type of website platform and it's a good fit for both wholesale and e-commerce, or even for presentation websites without an online shop. Pricing: from $19 / month to $349 / month depending on traffic/ tested views
2. Smart Currency Converter - a WooCommerce add-on for currency conversion
This WooCommerce add-on for Wordpress websites enables you to display prices in the visitor’s location currency - recognized, calculated and displayed automatically. Localized price and currency can substitute default prices and multiple currencies can be displayed at the same time. Exchange rates are synced from Yahoo Finance, so they're always up to date.
However, exchange rates can be overwritten by the shop owner if unnecessary. Besides auto detection, each visitor can set her or her own preferred currency to see prices in. This preference will be saved across sessions.
3. CommerceStack - a Magento add-on for product recommendations
If you have an online shop built with Magento, you can easily cross-sell and up-sell with CommerceStack add-on. It magically displays your visitor's related products based on their current or previous carts, and can also recommend products based on customer preferences.
Pricing: starts free and goes up to $29.5 / month and $79.5 / month depending on the complexity of the features chosen.
If you have an online shop built with Shopify, there is a website personalization tool for you to wow your customers too. Cross-sell and up-sell through a “You might like” widget that automatically generates product recommendations. If you want to go pro, you can also set customer offers at checkout - for instance, you could offer a 10% discount on batteries to people buying cameras.
Pricing: The “You might like” widget is free, while the pro version including the customer offers at checkout is $19.99 / month.
5. Linkcious - a tool to drive traffic from your blog to relevant products in your online shop
We live in the age of content marketing, so if you happen to have a great blog, you will like this tool. It allows you to embed your products smartly within your WordPress blog. Instead of manually choosing the relevant products and adding links, this tool will automatically show products related to your blog articles. It can also automatically remove products that are out of stock from displaying to your blog visitors. How cool is all that?
Pricing: It's still in beta, so it's free for now. You can sign up with your Shopify, but it works with most online shops
Bonus: TradeGecko - display the real-time available stock across multiple channels
If you happen to have a mixed business model, doing both eCommerce and wholesale, or if you have multiple online shops, allocating stock to different channels is not an easy job.
In order to avoid out-of-stock situations on some channels because you sold more through other channels, or blocking too much stock for channels that under perform, you can use an inventory and order management system that integrates with all of your sales channels: TradeGecko (yes, that’s us!)
TradeGecko will automatically aggregate, calculate and display the available stock on all your sales channels in real-time. If you use any Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce and wholesale orders, all order fulfillment syncs with your inventory, decreasing your available stock with every shipment you make.